photo by: David Alexander Castro
My family is from rural Tennessee. In the summer, the fence rows swarm with blackberries and raspberries leap out of quiet nooks in the woods. The berries are melt in your mouth delicious. I always think of Seamus Heaney’s poem Blackberry Picking when I enjoy them. And while they’re delicious in cobblers, breakfast bowls, and handfuls, they’re especially delicious in cocktails. Here’s one that my nona taught me:
Ingredients for Three Brambles:
¼ cup rasperries
¼ cup blackberries
2 oz of gin (our favorite is Hendricks)
1 oz Chambord (crème de cassis will work in a pinch)
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz or so agave or simple syrup
Soda water (to finish)
• Using a cocktail shaker, combine berries, gin, Chambord, lemon juice, and syrup/agave.
• Muddle until the berries are largely disintegrated. We have an excellent selection of shakers and muddlers here at Fantes!
• Fill glasses with large ice cubes. We are enchanted by our unicorn ice molds—nothing says a good time like unicorn ice.
• Strain using a fine mesh strainer until seeds have been removed. We love our OXO cocktail strainer.
• Pour the mixture into your glasses and top with your desired amount of soda water.
• Enjoy ♥